Soup is always on our weekly menu so today I’m sharing a new green minestrone – the perfect soup to take advantage of all the late summer/early fall produce! A yummy finish is a drizzle of olive oil, and grated Parmesan. So good!
6 green onions
2 celery stalks, sliced into 1/4 inch slices
1 cup green beans trimmed and snapped
2 small zucchini, diced
2 tbsp olive oil
1 clove garlic, minced
1 bay leaf
4 cups vegetable stock
2 tsp chopped herbs such as thyme and oregano
1 cup canned cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup freshly shelled green peas
2 cups cooked pasta shells or small pasta of choice
1 tsp of sea salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 tbsp freshly-squeezed lemon juice
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
01. Chop the white ends of the green onions about halfway up the stalk. Reserve the green tips for soup garnish or another use.
02. In a large pot over medium heat, warm the olive oil. Add the green onion, celery, green beans and zucchini. Sauté the vegetables for about 4 to 5 minutes; stirring occasionally, until softened. Add the garlic and bay leaf, then cook for an additional minute.
03. Pour in the vegetable stock and the chopped herbs. Bring soup to a boil over high heat, then reduce and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
04. Add the beans, fresh green peas, and salt. Simmer for another 3 to 4 minutes.
05. When ready to serve, remove from heat and add in the fresh pepper and lemon juice. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary. Scoop approximately 1/3 of a cup of cooked pasta into a bowl and ladle in the soup. Garnish with Parmesan cheese and green onion. Enjoy!