Prep Time: 20 min Cook Time: 20 min Servings: 4 – 5
Soup season is always in style, no matter the temperature outside! (yet as I type this, it’s lightly snowing, and I must say I’m craving sunshine and warmth; ok Karlene, hang tight, lol). In the meantime I will keep warm with this vibrant, bright, superfood nourishing pot of creamy broccoli soup. I love to experiment with full plant-based recipes, however, you can easily adjust to using chicken stock, parmesan cheese and coconut milk/cream if you prefer. Either way, you will have a bowl of soup that feels like a comforting hug. Enjoy!
2 tablespoons of olive oil
1 large onion, diced
4-6 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
2 large green peppers, diced
1 jalapeño, diced fine (use 1/2 for less spice/heat)
7 cups broccoli, cut into bite-sized florets (stems are okay if cut thinly)
4 cups veggie broth
1 cup water
1 bay leaf (remove before blending)
1 teaspoon coriander
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
3/4 cup raw cashew, soaked overnight or for at least 6 hours
01. Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat; add the onion, garlic, green peppers and jalapeño. Stirring occasionally and letting the onions get golden brown for about 5 minutes.
02. Add the broccoli, veggie broth, water, bay leaf, coriander, oregano, salt, and pepper. The liquid should just cover the veggies. Cover and bring to a boil. Then turn down the heat and let it simmer gently until the broccoli is tender (about 10-12 minutes). Turn the heat off and remove the bay leaf.
03. BLEND: place roughly 1 cup of the broccoli and 1 cup of broth into a blender. Let cool for about 5 minutes inside the blender. Add the cashews and 3 tablespoons of nutritional yeast.
04. Cover tightly with the blender lid and a kitchen towel, holding it down firmly. Start the motor on the lowest setting, working up gradually, to prevent the blender from splashing the hot content. Blend until silky smooth.
05. Add one more cup of broccoli and one more cup of broth into the blender. Blend again until silky smooth.
06. Add 1-2 big handfuls of fresh baby spinach and blend until fully incorporated and smooth.
07. Pour this mixture back into the broccoli soup pot; mix and heat gently over low heat – careful not to boil or simmer for too long or you’ll lose the lovely vibrant green colour.
08. Taste for salt, heat, and acid. Add a little squeeze of lime if you like, or extra chilli flakes, or pepper. For extra “cheesy” flavour, add another tablespoon of nutritional yeast.
09. GARNISH: with fresh cilantro, scallions, a wedge of lime or sprinkle of pumpkin seeds. Enjoy!