Sunday dinner…cozy, comforting, simple and nourishing…that’s exactly what this cauliflower bolognese is all about. And trust me, it will become a favorite for meatless Monday as well. I’ve been on a pasta sauce frenzy lately, and I literally love creating different combinations of plants and flavours. So good! Food and my kitchen have really been a positive distraction for me this year.
In the midst of new restrictions that can create unease, maybe tonight is a good opportunity to make your family dinner a little extra special;, set the table, light some candles, and give thanks which I always finds helps to reset my intentions for the week ahead. Sending you all a big virtual hug!
Prep Time: 20 min Cook Time: 60 min Servings: 6
1 small head of cauliflower – cut into florets
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium sweet onion – diced
3 cloves garlic – minced
2 28-ounce whole peeled tomato cans
½ cup red lentils – rinsed
3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon coconut sugar
½ teaspoon dried thyme
1 cup loosely packed fresh basil – chopped
2 tablespoons fresh oregano
½ teaspoon chili flakes
Sea salt and black pepper – to taste
01. Using a food processor, pulse the cauliflower for 10-20 seconds until it looks crumbly with a few small florets. You may have to stop the food processor and scrap down the sides.
02. In a large pot, heat the olive oil over low heat. Add the onions and cook until soft, about 3-5 minutes.
03. Add the cauliflower to the pot. Increase the heat to medium and continue to cook stirring occasionally until the cauliflower begins to lose its shape, about 10-12 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
04. Pour in the tomatoes and use your hands to squeeze each tomato in the pot. Be careful not to burn your hands.
05. Add the red lentils, balsamic vinegar, sugar, thyme, basil, oregano, chili flakes, salt, and pepper. Mix until well combined.
06. Place the lid on top and bring the sauce to a gentle boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer with the lid on for about 30 minutes. Remove the lid and cook for an additional 15 minutes.