At least once a week, soup is on the menu at our house. It’s such a great way to get in all the nutrition, plus a warm bowl of soup on a cool, rainy fall night just feels so good!
Soup and curries were both how I started my kids eating lentils and chickpeas, which are both such nutritious, hearty plant foods. This tomato soup gets a big boost from the addition of red split lentils which are a personal fav! If you have picky eaters at your table- then give this soup a full blend in your VitaMix or use an immersion blender!
Last week I served this with a 4-cheese sourdough grilled cheese (so so tasty)!
I hope you enjoy this much as we do! 🥰🍅
3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, plus more to garnish
1 onion, chopped
1 cup red split lentils, rinsed
2 tbsp tomato paste
1 14-oz can chopped tomatoes
4 cups vegetable broth, low sodium
1 14-oz can coconut milk, full-fat
sea salt and pepper to taste
chopped parsley, to garnish
01. In a dutch oven or a heavy bottom pot, heat up oil over medium heat; add the onion and cook for 3 minutes until translucent.
02. Add lentils, tomato paste and can of tomato. Stir and allow it to cook for another 3 minutes.
03. Add the vegetable broth, cover and let it simmer for about 20 minutes.
04. Add coconut milk, sea salt, and pepper. Then cook for an additional 10 minutes. Adjust seasoning as needed!
05. At this time you can use an immersion blender and blend some of the soup (or as much as you like; I like it a little chunky so I only pureed a little bit to give it texture).
06. Serve hot, garnish with fresh parsley, olive oil and cracked pepper. Enjoy!