Soup is always a good idea, and it really is like a hug in a bowl! I have always tried to be creative and come up with unique, healthy and tasty ways to increase the nutrition of our food while feeding my family. And sometimes it has to be done in a bit of a sneaky way. So in this recipe, I incorporated cannellini beans to add more creamy texture, protein and fibre. Beans are such a beautiful food and make our microbiome and gut very happy. And I have to say this nourishing soup will bring YOU a feeling of warmth and happiness.
Enjoy my friends!
3 tbsp avocado oil
1 onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
4 medium sized Yukon Gold potatoes, chopped into 1-inch chunks
4 cups vegetable broth
1 15-oz can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
2/3 cup nutritional yeast
1 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp ground thyme
1/4 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp coconut aminos or tamari
1 bunch kale, chopped into small pieces
01. In a large pot over medium heat, heat up the oil. Add the chopped onion and stir; cook until tender and lightly browned, about 5-7 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute.
02. Add the potato chunks and broth; bring to a boil. Cover and cook until the potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes.
03. If using an immersion blender, add the beans and nutritional yeast to the pot, then blend until smooth. If using a regular blender, slowly add potatoes in the broth, then beans and nutritional yeast, then blend until smooth. Work in two batches if needed. Return the soup to the pot.
04. Reduce heat to simmer. Add salt, pepper, thyme, paprika, and coconut amino (or tamari). Stir to combine.
05. Add the chopped kale and stir to incorporate in the soup. Cover and cook until the kale wilts, about 4-5 minutes. Serve hot and enjoy!