Prep Time: 15 min Cook Time: 18 min Servings: 12 muffins
These moist, delicious and healthy muffins taste like a summer baked good should! Strawberry season has reached it’s peak here in the west coast, which means all those sweet and ripe strawberries have been centre stage for breakfasts, snacks and desserts. The kids and I usually get out to the u-pick at least once a season as I love to fill my freezer with berries to last throughout the winter months. You really can’t beat the sweet juicy taste of a freshly-picked strawberry.
Feel free to swap out the strawberries for any berry or a combination tastes great as well! Happy baking!
1 1/2 cups chopped fresh strawberries
1/4 cup all purpose flour
4 tbsp melted coconut oil
1 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/2 cup pure maple syrup
1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup white whole wheat flour
1/2 cup all purpose flour
01. Preheat oven to 375F. Spray a muffin tray with cooking spray or line with muffin liners; set aside.
02. Place chopped strawberries in a medium bowl and toss gently with 1/4 cup all purpose flour and set aside.
03. Add the applesauce to the large mixing bowl along with the melted coconut oil. Add the maple syrup, almond milk, vanilla and eggs. Whisk until well combined.
04. Add the baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Whisk until well combined.
05. Add the white whole wheat flour and 1/2 cup all purpose flour. Use a rubber spatula or spoon to mix until almost combined. Fold in the strawberries until just combined. Scoop the batter into the prepared muffin tins.
06. Bake for 16-18 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the centre of a muffin comes out clean. Let muffins cool in the pan for 5 minutes and then remove them to a wire rack to finish cooling.