Most of us have tried at least one diet in our lifetime-cabbage soup diet anyone? There is a reason why the diet industry is worth billions of dollars—it’s not easy to lose weight—and keep it off. But if we stick to lifestyle changes and focus on proper nutrient intake rather than exclusion, it will help us be more successful.
As a registered dietitian and expert in holistic and natural health for 17 years now, my mantra has never changed. The focus of weight loss should be to keep blood sugar levels balanced by avoiding highs and lows that cause sugar cravings, crash and burn, fatigue and belly fat. Don’t you want to feel energized, have better mental clarity, sleep better at night, feel calmer, happier, and overall just a healthier version of you?
A few simple rules:
01. Eat 5 times per day.
02. Each time you eat, consume protein, healthy fat and fibre.
03. Drink plenty of water and at least 1 glass with a ½ squeezed lemon.
These 3 macronutrients help provide feelings of fullness, satiation, slow the blood sugar response, prevent sugar cravings, boost metabolism, and burn fat. Remember you do need carbohydrates to fuel your brain otherwise this “diet” you are on will result in you binging on a box of Oreo cookies!
Here are the top 5 foods to keep your weight in check in 2017!
01. Matcha-Emerging as one of the hottest foods to help burn fat and boost metabolism. Popular in Japanese culture it can be drunk as tea, or incorporated into smoothies and baked goods. In research studies matcha has been found to boost calories by 4 x without stressing the body. A study in The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition found that matcha can increase thermogenesis from 8% up to 35%. Who’s ready for this green trend?
02. Avocados—fat does not make you fat. Say it out loud and press repeat. These omega-9, monounsaturated fats not only are the perfect food for glowing skin, but they also stop food cravings in their tracks. The good fat keeps you feeling full and satiated throughout the day. So get a spoon and dig in!
03. Black beans—these black beauties are loaded with protein and fibre. Black beans are nutrient-loaded with safe carbohydrates that are versatile enough and can be put on soups, salads, tacos/tortillas, pasta dishes, or stewed.
04. Eggs—forget about the cholesterol myth, whole eggs are complete proteins and completely safe to eat. And you should! It’s not cholesterol that raises your cholesterol. It’s trans fats, sugar, inflammation, and well, let’s save this one for another day. The point is that egg yolks contain choline which helps digest fat and whittle your waist line. When choosing eggs, I recommend organic, free-range —and let’s keep it to 2 per day.
05. Sweet Potatoes—low in calories high in nutrients, sweet potatoes contain more fibre than oatmeal. They keep you feeling fuller longer, and will help prevent that brain fog and feeling of confusion that often results from low-carb diets. Sweet potatoes will help you burn calories in between meals—isn’t that what we want?
And although there isn’t a magic bullet for weight-loss, there are 2 supplements that I can recommend:
Omega-3s: Consuming omega-3s have been studied to
Improve insulin sensitivity
Balance blood sugar
Increase satiation (feeling of fullness)
Build all the cells in the body—these are essential nutrients friends and a must-have in everyone’s diet.
PGX—short for PolyGlycoPlex is a completely new and unique fibre matrix. PGX is the most viscous and soluble fibre ever discovered. All the health benefits of dietary fibre including stabilizing blood sugar and weight loss are increased with PGX. To lose weight the dosage should be at least 2.5 to 5 grams before meals (start with 750 to 1,000 mg and work your way up to the full dosage over the course of a couple weeks). Over 25 human, clinical studies make PGX the best supplement for weight-loss!