Chocolate + zucchini = the happiest couple around! This moist (hello zucchini and banana) loaf will become one of your favourite guilt-free healthy treats. Zucchini is one of the most incredible veg to add to baked goods as it lends to a light, moist texture. It gets a chocolatey boost thanks to raw cacao powder which also provides loads of antioxidants, that help you feel good.
You can also choose to make these in muffin form if you prefer, which is actually easier to pack for snacks and lunches. Either way, I hope you enjoy this chocolatey treat.
1 cup finely grated zucchini (pressed with paper towel to absorb the extra water)
1 1/2 cups spelt flour
6 tsp raw cacao powder
t tsp cinnamon
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 large egg
3 medium ripe bananas mashed
1/4 cup maple syrup
1 tsp vanilla
2 tbsp olive oil
a splash of almond milk
1/4 cup chocolate chips (or any other add-ins like dried fruit, chopped walnuts, pecans, etc)
01. Preheat oven to 350F. Coat a standard loaf pan with oil (I usually use coconut or olive oil).
02. In a medium bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients.
03. In a large bowl whisk eggs, then add the mashed banana, vanilla extract, maple syrup, olive oil, zucchini and the splash of almond milk.
04. Stir dry ingredients into wet ingredients with a large wooden spoon. Do not over mix.
05. Add in chocolate chips and/or any other extras you’d like to include.
06. Pour batter into prepared loaf pan.
07. Bake for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
08. Let it cool for 15 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.