Nothing says spring like the first signs of rhubarb. It’s complex, sour flavor, lends itself so well into desserts with sweeter tastes such as vanilla and orange zest to help round it out. I love rhubarb and is one of the seasons finest that should be eaten as much as possible, because once it’s gone, its gone! And trust, me, you can’t go wrong with a crumble or crisp- its an easy way to enjoy a sweet treat. p.s. Don’t skimp on the ice cream!:)
1 cup all purpose flour
1/3 cup rolled oats
3/4 cup coconut sugar
1/4 tsp sea salt
1/2 cup melted grass-fed butter (can substitute with melted coconut oil)
2 lbs chopped rhubarb (about 7 cups)
1/3 cup organic white sugar
1/4 cup all purpose flour
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp orange zest
1/2 tsp sea salt
coconut whipped cream
vanilla ice cream
01. Preheat the oven to 375F. Coat an 8″ x 8″ glass baking dish with cooking oil and set aside.
02. In a medium freezer-safe bowl combine all the crumble ingredients. With your hands squeeze the mixture into large crumbles and place the bowl in the freezer.
03. In a large mixing bowl, combine all the ingredients for the filling. Transfer this filling mixture in the prepared baking dish, remove the crumble from the freezer and scatter it on top.
04. Bake for 45 minutes until the top is golden and the filling is bubbling.
05. Let cook for 15 minutes before serving; top with coconut whipped cream or vanilla ice cream and a sprinkle of cinnamon.