Scones make such a beautiful addition to breakfast, brunch or tea time. Don’t be intimidated by them, as they are quite easy to make and any size or shape works. I find scones are best eaten the day you bake the, but you can keep them in an airtight container at room temperature and lightly reheat when ready to eat.
You could use powdered sugar or make a light glaze to spread on top.
2 1/2 cup white whole wheat flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp sea salt
1 1/2 tbsp unsalted butter, very cold and cubed
1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
3 tbsp pure maple syrup
2 tbsp + 2 tsp unsweetened almond milk, divided
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup whole fresh strawberries, finely diced
01. Preheat oven to 425F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
02. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Add the butter and cut into the butter with a pastry cutter or the back of a fork until the mixture resembles fine crumbs.
03. Stir in the Greek yogurt, maple syrup, 2 tablespoons of almond milk and vanilla extract. Gently fold in diced strawberries.
04. Shape the dough into a 3/4″ tall circle on the prepared baking sheet, and brush with the remaining 2 teaspoons of almond milk.
05. Slice the circle into 8 triangular segments with a sharp knife. Bake at 425F for 23-27 minutes, or until the tops are a deep golden and the center feel firm to the touch.
06. Cool on the pan for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely. Enjoy with a cup of tea or your favorite milk!